Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Peacebuilding

Peacebuilding, a term that has been drilled into our brains for the past few years that, in my mind, means being a hero no matter how small the deed. Why are we learning it? Honestly, I have no steady answer, but I will try to give my best explanation of this oh-so-powerful force. Praise others, or those who need it, is a quality that we all could add to our daily routine. Along with praising we need to notice that people are hurt, to know when we need to help, and to understand what they need, and we are desperately in need of that one "peacebulding" person to help us along the way. Seeking wise people is something I belive we all could work on, and we can find great examples in The Yearling. One person is waiting for you to take this term into your life and help them.
"Good Job!" is all it takes. One little phrase can pick a person's whole day up. Praise people for what they have done, and don't critisize them for things they didn't do or did wrong. I belive the best example of this is Father and Son. Penny and Jody, a great pairing that supported eachother. The expiriences I think of is when Jody thinks of his father and belives him the most incredible man ever. He believed in Penny, and I think he provied support when Penny was in need. On the other side, there is Penny praising his son. I think that Penny believed in his son, and was noticable of his wants and needs. He knew he wanted to go on the hunt, and he praised his son when they went after ol' slewfoot. This is a classic example of praising others, Father and Son.
Noticing hurts is something I wish that people at our school would understand more. I wish they could realize that me or others where having a rough day and give us a pat on the back. Noticing hurts means knowing others are in needs and not just noticing. Take action. The examples I thought of where Jody doens't do his chores. Simple but it shows that he cares. He feels bad that he didn't help his family. He notices his family was hurting because they really needed his help. ANother, corny, but good example is when Julia is hurt, he always asks how she is doing and tries to help Penny take care of her. I liked that part of the story. While noticing peoples pain and grief Jody learns to seek for the wise people in his life.
Yes, another Father and Son example. Seeking guidence from others is a quality that can be put into our lives, creating less conflict, and solving problems easier. Jody often travels to his father for a helping hand and advice. I love how Penny teaches Jody to hunt, I think that this bonding is a perfect example of learning fron one another and seeking knowladge. The other I thought of was Fodder-wig. Jody always thinks of Fokdder-wig and takes things he has learned from his friend and applies those things to his life. Through all these qualities we find that Jody is the center. Jody, in my oppinion, is a peacebuilder.
Peacebuilding is the basic system that we all should apply to our lives. Whether it be seeking out the wise, noticing the small greif people have, or simply praising one person. It is something that each of us should use each day. I hope that we can understand its meaning. Be a peacebuilder, Today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home